Hey BridgeKids Families!
After Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, Jesus showed His followers that He is alive. He taught them about Himself and about God’s kingdom. (Luke 24:25-27,44-48) Jesus told them that He would soon return to the Father. (John 20:17)
As we read in Acts 1:4-14, Jesus directed the Eleven to go a mountain. When they arrived, Jesus appeared. Some of them wondered if Jesus was finally going to overthrow the Roman government and set up His kingdom on earth.
Jesus said, “It is not for you to know times or periods that the Father has set by His own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:7-8).
Jesus told them to remain in Jerusalem until they received the Father’s promise—the Holy Spirit. Those who repented of their sins and trusted in Jesus’ death and resurrection would be baptized by the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:5) The Holy Spirit would give them power to live holy lives and take the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
After Jesus told the disciples these things, Jesus was taken up into the sky—right in front of their eyes! (Acts 1:9) Suddenly two men stood on the mountain next to the disciples. “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up into heaven?” they asked. They said Jesus would return the same way. (Acts 1:11)
Jesus is alive in heaven, waiting to return for His people. Jesus told the disciples He was going to prepare a place for them, and when we die, we will be with the Lord. (John 14:1-3)
Jesus left earth and returned to heaven, but He did not leave us alone. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to be with us and help us do God’s work. One day Jesus will return to make all things new and to rule as Lord over all.
- For whom did Jesus tell His friends to wait? (the Holy Spirit)
- What would the Holy Spirit give to the friends? (power to tell people all across the world about Jesus)
- Where did Jesus go after speaking to His friends? (into the sky in a cloud)
- What did the two men in white clothes say about Jesus? (He had been taken into heaven and would come back again one day in the same way.)
- Bring your Bibles: With the new format in BridgeKids we will be using Bibles more. We want your children to grow more comfortable using a Bible, and in particular their own Bible. If they have a Bible, be sure they bring it. Don’t have a Bible? Stay tuned for creative ways that the kids can earn one.
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for the missions conference in November. The BridgeKids funds will go for Osmar and the Sunshne Kids Club in Peru.
- Camp Scholarships: This year we already have 45 students signed up for summer camp at Lake Ann. We take students to Lake Ann camp because of the amazing experience they have and the camp’s commitment to developing the faith of each student. If you are a student who would like to attend, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Unit Memory Verse: 1 Cornithians 15:3-4 – What I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.