Hey BridgeKids Families!
Jesus went with His disciples into the countryside of Judea. He oversaw them as they baptized people. At the same time, people came to John, and he was baptizing them. These baptisms were an outward sign of cleansing for people who had repented of their sins.
Open your Bibles to John 3:22-36. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how some of John’s disciples came to John. They had noticed that the disciples of the man John had reluctantly baptized were baptizing others. Perhaps they felt the need to defend John’s ministry, but John explained God’s purpose for his life. John had been chosen by God long before he was born to be a forerunner—one who prepares the way. (See Mal. 3:1; Isa. 40:3.)
John the Baptist understood who he was and who Jesus is. Consider these comparisons as John explained that Jesus was greater than John.
First, who were they? John was clear: “I am not the Messiah” (John 3:28). John was not the bridegroom, but the groom’s friend. Jesus is the bridegroom. (John 3:29)
Where did they come from? John was from the earth, and he belonged to the earth. Jesus comes from above and is above all. (John 3:31)
Next, what did they do? John said, “He must increase, but I must decrease.” John was a witness to the Light. (John 1:7-8) He was a voice in the wilderness, and Jesus is the Word. (John 1:14,23) John baptized with water, but Jesus baptized with the Spirit. (John 1:33)
Finally, why were they here? John went before Jesus and rejoiced with Him. (John 3:28-29) Jesus came to give eternal life. (John 3:36)
John the Baptist had told people to get ready for Jesus, the promised Messiah. Now that Jesus was on earth, John’s mission was complete. John the Baptist joyfully stepped aside as Jesus began His earthly ministry.
Ask the questions:
- What did Jesus do in the countryside? (He spent time with His disciples, and people were baptized; John 3:22)
- Who had a question for John the Baptist? (John’s followers, John 3:25-26)
- What did John’s followers tell John? (Jesus was baptizing people, and people were following Him; John 3:26)
- John said he was not whom? (the Messiah, John 3:28)
- To which person at a wedding did John compare Jesus? (the groom, John 3:29)
- To which person at a wedding did John compare himself? (the groom’s friend, John 3:29)
- Who did John say must become greater? (Jesus, John 3:30)
- Where did Jesus come from? (Jesus came from heaven to earth, John 3:31)
- Whose words does Jesus speak? (God’s words, John 3:34)
- What will those who believe in the Son have? (eternal life, John 3:36)
- Who will not have eternal life? (those who refuse to believe in the Son, John 3:36)
- Who did Jesus say He is? Jesus said He is the Messiah.
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for Lakeshore Lifeworks Ministry. They provide transitional housing and loving relationships for vulnerable youth ages 18-21. They believe that having a personal relationship with Jesus is the solid foundation on which to build up our youth along with many important life skills. They utilize and combine the resources of the CHURCH, STATE and COMMUNITY to reach vulnerable youth and show them the love of Christ so they can reach their full potential. This helps the youth through the hard transition into adulthood. They currently work with mostly boys, but are starting a girls house as well.
- Operation Christmas Child: BridgeKids has a goal of sending at least 100 shoeboxes this Christmas. Every week we are collecting a new themed item for our boxes. Drop items in the BK check in area. Learn more at samaritanspurse.org/occ. Stay tuned to BridgeKids Facebook for more details! This week we are collecting clothing items. Grab a pair of socks, pack of undies or a t-shirt to send in a box this week. Please, new items only, Thanks!