Hey BridgeKids Families!
God’s people had not heard a clear message from God for hundreds of years. Then one day, Gabriel—an angel of the Lord—told a man that his wife, Elizabeth, was going to have a baby. The baby’s name would be John. Then the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she would have a baby, and her baby would be God’s Son.
Mary and Elizabeth were relatives. Elizabeth was old and barren; she and her husband, Zechariah, had no children. Mary was a young girl—likely in her early teens. She was a virgin, engaged to be married to Joseph. The announcements of these pregnancies were miraculous for both women. Both babies had been foretold by the prophet Isaiah—John in Isaiah 40:3 and Jesus in Isaiah 7:14.
Open your Bibles to Luke 1:26-56. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how the angel Gabriel told Mary that Elizabeth was pregnant too, and Mary hurried to see her. The journey would not have been easy. Mary traveled nearly one hundred miles to see Elizabeth, and her arrival brought great joy to both Elizabeth and Elizabeth’s unborn baby. In the presence of the unborn Messiah, John leaped in Elizabeth’s womb. Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she said, “Mary, you are blessed!”
The story of Mary’s visit with Elizabeth gives us a remarkable picture of women living by faith. Being a young, unwed pregnant woman could have caused Mary to worry. Instead, her response is marked by her trust in God. Mary’s song reflects her knowledge of God’s Word and her understanding of who God is.
Mary was willing to follow God’s plan, even though being Jesus’ mother would not be easy. Mary wanted to bring praise to God. Likewise, Jesus brought praise to His Father by willingly dying on the cross to save people from sin.
Ask the questions:
- Who told Mary she was going to have a baby? (the angel Gabriel; Luke 1:26-27,31)
- Mary was engaged to be married to whom? (Joseph, Luke 1:27)
- How did Mary feel about the angel’s announcement? (afraid, deeply puzzled; Luke 1:29)
- What did the angel say the baby’s name would be? (Jesus, Luke 1:31)
- The angel said the baby would be whose Son? (God’s Son; Luke 1:32,35)
- Who else did the angel say was going to have a baby? (Mary’s relative Elizabeth, Luke 1:36)
- What did Elizabeth’s baby do when Mary came to the house? (He leaped for joy, Luke 1:44)
- How did Mary praise God? (with a song, Luke 1:46-55)
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for Lakeshore Lifeworks Ministry. They provide transitional housing and loving relationships for vulnerable youth ages 18-21. They believe that having a personal relationship with Jesus is the solid foundation on which to build up our youth along with many important life skills. They utilize and combine the resources of the CHURCH, STATE and COMMUNITY to reach vulnerable youth and show them the love of Christ so they can reach their full potential. This helps the youth through the hard transition into adulthood. They currently work with mostly boys, but are starting a girls house as well.
- Baptism: On July 29 we are having a church Picnic and will celebrate baptism that afternoon. If your child is interested in baptism, e-mail David at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect about it more.
BridgeKids Summer Nights: Its Christmas in July! Join BridgeKids on July 24 as we have a Christmas party to celebrate the birth of Christ that we are learning on Sunday mornings. This is going to be a festive night of celebration with games, crafts and Christmas cheer! 6-7:30 in The Landing at LifeBridge.