Hey BridgeKids Families!
Jesus had enemies. In the midst of His public ministry, the Jewish religious leaders began plotting to kill Him. (See Mark 3:6.) So one day, Jesus went to a land on the east side of the Sea of Galilee where Gentiles lived. Jesus’ mission to the Gentiles was not a backup plan after the Jews rejected Him; when Jesus was an infant, Simeon prophesied that His work would be for all people—both Jews and Gentiles. (See Luke 2:30-32.)
Open your Bibles to Mark 5:1-20. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how in that land was a man who needed help. An evil spirit was inside the man, and he suffered greatly. The people had tried to control the man by tying him up with chains, but the man broke free. So he lived alone in the tombs, crying out day and night.
When Jesus stepped ashore, the man ran to Him and kneeled down. Jesus commanded the evil spirit to come out of the man. Many evil spirits were in the man, and Jesus gave the evil spirits permission to go into a herd of pigs. They did, and the man was healed.
The healed man wanted to follow Jesus, but Jesus told the man to go home to his own people and tell what the Lord had done for him. The man obeyed Jesus. He testified to the cities in that area about the Lord’s mercy, and the Gentiles were amazed.
Jesus is Lord over all things, good and evil. In His teaching, Jesus said, “If I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you” (Matt. 12:28). Jesus—as well as the Bible—is clear that Satan exists, and he and the demons work against God and His purposes.
Only Jesus had the strength to control the man with the evil spirits. Jesus has power over evil, and He used His power to free the man. He has power over everything. Jesus came to earth to destroy the Devil by dying on the cross. One day, Jesus will end evil forever.
Ask the questions:
- Where did Jesus meet the man with an evil spirit? (in the region of the Gerasenes, Mark 5:1)
- How did the people try to control the man? (They tried to tie him up with chains and shackles, Mark 5:3-4)
- What did Jesus command the evil spirit to do? (come out, Mark 5:8)
- Where did Jesus send the evil spirits? (into a herd of pigs, Mark 5:12)
- What happened to the pigs? (They ran down the hill and drowned in the sea, Mark 5:13)
- How did the man behave after Jesus sent away the evil spirits? (He was dressed and behaved normally again, Mark 5:15)
- What did Jesus tell the man to do? (go home and tell people what God did for him, Mark 5:19)
- When people heard what Jesus had done, how did they feel? (They were amazed, Mark 5:20)
- Memory Verse: Our unit memory verse right now is Psalm 103:2-3: Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits…who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.
- Serving Opportunity: In light of making room, we are ready for more people to hug some BridgeBabies! If you have been waiting for the perfect time to rock babies, now is the time. We are looking for several more adults to serve our precious little ones in nursery space. This would mean serving during the 8:30 or 11:30 service at least every other week. If you are interested, reply to this e-mail and David George will follow up with you.