Hey BridgeKids Families!
Jesus received word that His friend Lazarus was sick. Lazarus was the brother of Mary and Martha. They lived in the town of Bethany, which was about two miles away from Jerusalem. Mary and Martha sent a message to Jesus, likely expecting Him to come right away.
Jesus loved Mary, Martha, and Lazarus; yet He stayed where He was, and Lazarus died. Why would Jesus do such a thing? Jesus said that Lazarus’ sickness was “for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it” (John 11:4). He said that He was glad He wasn’t there when Lazarus died so that the disciples may believe. (John 11:15) Jesus’ timing is always perfect, and He acts or doesn’t act so that God will be glorified.
Open your Bibles to John 11:1-7 and 17-44. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how by the time Jesus arrived in Bethany, Lazarus had been in the tomb for four days. Martha went to meet Jesus. She said to Him, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother wouldn’t have died.” Jesus had shown His power to heal people who were sick. Even still, she believed He could do a miracle.
Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. His messiahship was clearly on display, and it was Jesus’ claims to be the Son of God that would lead to His death on the cross. Jesus interrupted Lazarus’s funeral knowing His would soon follow.
When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, He showed that He has power over death. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life.” Jesus died on the cross for our sin and rose from the dead. He gives eternal life to those who trust in Him.
Ask the questions:
2. Who were Lazarus’s sisters? (Mary and Martha; John 11:1,21,32)
3. How much longer did Jesus stay in the place where Bible story script. He was? (two days, John 11:6)
4. What happened to Lazarus while Jesus was away? (Lazarus died, John 11:14)
5. How long had Lazarus been in the tomb when Jesus arrived? (four days, John 11:17)
6. Which sister came to meet Jesus right away? (Martha, John 11:20)
7. Who did Jesus say He is? (the resurrection and the life, John 11:25)
8. What did Martha believe about Jesus? (He is the Messiah, the Son of God; John 11:27)
9. What did Jesus shout? (“Lazarus, come out!” John 11:43)
10. Why did Jesus raise people from the dead? (Jesus raised people from the dead to show that He has power over death, John 11:4)
- Memory Verse: Our unit memory verse right now is Psalm 103:2-3: Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits…who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.
- Serving Opportunity: In light of making room, we are ready for more people to hug some BridgeBabies! If you have been waiting for the perfect time to rock babies, now is the time. We are looking for several more adults to serve our precious little ones in nursery space. This would mean serving during the 8:30 or 11:30 service at least every other week. If you are interested, reply to this e-mail and David George will follow up with you.
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for the new BridgeKids space at Beach Haven.