Hey BridgeKids Families!
Three decades had passed since Jesus arrived on earth as a helpless baby. He grew up and began His ministry. People wondered, Could this be the Messiah? From the time sin entered the world through Adam, God was working out His rescue plan. Finally, at just the right time, God sent His Son into the world.
John the Baptist announced Jesus’ purpose: “Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). Jesus called disciples to follow Him, and He spent three years teaching people about God and proclaiming the good news.
People began talking about the possible Messiah. If He really was the “Anointed One”—the promised Deliverer—when would He rise up against the Roman government? As Jesus’ ministry came to a close, He made His way toward Jerusalem. But Jesus wasn’t about to overthrow a government; He was about to die.
Open your Bibles to Matthew 26:6-13 & John 12:1-8. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how Jesus was eating supper at Simon’s house in Bethany when Mary (the sister of Lazarus) poured oil over Jesus. Her act angered the disciples, who thought the oil should have been sold and the money used to help people who were poor. But Jesus affirmed Mary for her actions.
Pouring the expensive oil on Jesus was not a waste, it was worship. By allowing Mary to anoint Him, Jesus showed that He is more valuable than anything. Jesus knew He would soon die for sinners, be buried, and rise from the dead on the third day.
Help your kids see the bigger picture here. What happened in the days leading to Jesus’ death was part of God’s plan. Jesus said that Mary had prepared Him for burial. (Matt. 26:12) Days later, Jesus died on the cross to rescue people from sin. On the third day, He rose from the dead. Jesus is alive!
Jesus is our Lord and Savior. God calls us to treasure Him more than anything or anyone else. We can show our love for Him through the ways we worship. He is worthy of all our praise.
Ask the questions:
- Who anointed Jesus with very expensive oil? (Mary)
- Were Jesus’ friends happy that Mary used the oil to anoint Jesus? (No, they were upset because it was worth a lot of money.)
- What did Jesus say about what Mary did? (She had done a very good thing.)
- What did Jesus know would happen to Him soon? (He was going to die to rescue people from sin.)
- Memory Verse: Our unit memory verse right now is Luke 4:18 – The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free.
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for the missions conference in November. The BridgeKids funds will go for Osmar and the Sunshine Kids Club in Peru.