Hey BridgeKids Families!
Only a few days had passed since Jesus was arrested, beaten, and crucified. His followers were undoubtedly afraid and confused. They met together in a house, locking the doors because they were afraid of the Jews. Would the Jews do to them what they had done to Jesus? The disciples had believed that Jesus was the Messiah, but they had abandoned Him and Jesus was killed. How could He save anyone if He was dead?
Open your Bibles to Luke 24:36-49; John 20:19-23 to read the story. Some people were now reporting that Jesus was alive! Could it be true? The disciples were talking about these things when Jesus stood among them. They thought they were seeing a ghost.
“Peace to you!” He said. What good news! Imagine how Jesus’ words might have calmed the disciples’ anxious hearts. Their Lord, whom they had deserted, didn’t show up to scold them for their failures or shame them for their lack of faith. He spoke peace to them.
Even though Jesus had foretold His death and resurrection (Matt. 20:17-19), Jesus showed His disciples physical proof that He was alive. He showed them His hands and His side. With His resurrection, Jesus’ mission was accomplished. He paid the debt for sinners, and the transaction cleared. But the disciples’ work was just beginning.
Jesus gave His followers a job to do: “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you” (John 20:21). This verse contains the Gospel of John’s version of the Great Commission. Jesus, the One sent from the Father, sent the disciples to be His messengers and representatives. Jesus equipped the disciples with the Holy Spirit to proclaim the gospel—the good news of what Jesus has done—to the world.
For 40 days, Jesus presented Himself to at least 500 people and proved that He is alive. (1 Corinthians 15:3-8). Jesus is still alive today. He sends out believers to tell others about Him and gives us power through the Holy Spirit.
Ask the Questions:
- Where were Jesus’ friends when He appeared to them? (in a house with the doors locked)
- What was the first thing Jesus said to His friends? (Peace to you!)
- What did Jesus show His friends so they would know it was really Him? (His hands and His side)
- What did Jesus send out His friends to do? (tell all the people that He is alive)
- Bring your Bibles: With the new format in BridgeKids we will be using Bibles more. We want your children to grow more comfortable using a Bible, and in particular their own Bible. If they have a Bible, be sure they bring it. Don’t have a Bible? Stay tuned for creative ways that the kids can earn one.
- Penny Wars!: Every week in BridgeKids we take an offering to teach the kids how to give back to God. Right now we are raising money for the new BridgeKids space at Beach Haven.
- Camp Scholarships: This year we already have 45 students signed up for summer camp at Lake Ann. We take students to Lake Ann camp because of the amazing experience they have and the camp’s commitment to developing the faith of each student. If you are a student who would like to attend, contact email@example.com.