Hey BridgeKids Families!
This week we saw how despite King Solomon’s great wisdom, he was still sinful and his sin divided the people of Israel. When Solomon’s son Rehoboam became king, the people asked for him to ease up on them, but Rehoboam listened to the bad advice of his peers and actually demanded more from the people. Because of this, the kingdom split into two: the Northern Kingdom of Israel and the Southern Kingdom of Judah.
Open your Bibles to 1 Kings 11-12. If you have younger kids you can use a story Bible to read it with them. Here you will read about how King Solomon failed to lead God’s people perfectly. God’s people needed a better king, a perfect king! Through David’s family, God would send His own Son, Jesus Christ, to be a perfect King over God’s people forever. Jesus brings His people together and leads them back to God.
Help your kids understand that Jesus is our perfect King and when we love Him and follow Him and do what He says, we will glorify God and be part of God’s plan to bring people back to Himself through Jesus.
Ask the questions:
- How many wives did Solomon have? (hundreds of wives from other nations, 1 Kings 11:2-3)
- What did Solomon’s wives encourage him to do? (turn away from God to worship idols, 1 Kings 11:4)
- What did God say He would do because Solomon turned away from Him? (God would take away Solomon’s kingdom and give it to Solomon’s servant, but He would do it when Solomon’s son became king; 1 Kings 11:11-13)
- What mistake did Rehoboam make? (He made the people work harder, 1 Kings 12:14-15)
- What sin did Jeroboam commit to keep people in the Northern Kingdom from returning to Judah? (Jeroboam made two golden calves for the people to worship, 1 Kings 12:28-30)
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God through His Word.
- Pumpkin Party – Come join us for a Pumpkin Party on Thursday, October 19th 6:00-7:30 @ beach haven. The event is for all of our Bridge Kids and their families! This is also a great opportunity for your kids to invite their friends from the community. All are welcome!! We’ll be having lots of fun fall activities: games , face painting , bounce house, candy, a photo booth and more. Make sure you dress in your best (non-scary) costume. We’ll have a costume contest around 7:00 for kids 0-12. Hope to see you there!
- Unit Memory Verse – Psalm 100:5 – The Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.
- Step In: Just as we are in the main gathering, the BridgeKids have been challenged to step into what God has for them. One of the ways we are doing this is by crossing the Jordan river. Our river stretches from the Landing out into check-in. Every time the kids bring an offering to BridgeKids they get to put a rock on our river to help cross it. The funds are still going to build a Nursery at the Sunshine Kids Club in Peru. Learn more about the club here: skcperu.com. We have a goal to raise $500 dollars by the Ripple Effect and have raised over $350 so far!