Hey BridgeKids Families!
But the people did not do all that the Lord had spoken. The people had God’s law, but they were not able to obey Him because of the sinfulness of their hearts. God punished His people for their unfaithfulness, eventually sending the Northern Kingdom into exile. But God was faithful; He preserved two tribes, keeping His promise to establish David’s house forever.
The Israelites in Jeremiah’s day broke the covenant just like their ancestors before them. The prophet Jeremiah told about a new covenant. He prophesied about a coming day when God would forgive sin and write His law on the hearts of His people. This prophecy is fulfilled in Jesus. Jesus did not come to get rid of the law. (See Matt. 5:17.) Through His sinless life, Jesus fulfilled the demands of the old covenant.
Jeremiah told about a day when God would forgive sin and change people’s hearts. Jesus made these words come true. God forgives our sin through His Son, Jesus. He changes us and gives us power through His Spirit to obey His commands.
Help your kids understand that obedience only comes from a heart changed by God and it is always a response to God’s goodness and love for us.
Ask the questions:
- What problem did the people of Judah have? (a sin problem, Jer. 17:1)
- What did Jeremiah say the people would lose because of their sin? (their wealth, land, and freedom; Jer. 17:3-4)
- How did Jeremiah describe people’s hearts? (deceitful, tricky; Jer. 17:9)
- What was God’s plan to change the hearts of the people? (making a new covenant, Jer. 31:31)
- What is the difference between the old covenant and new covenant? (With the old covenant, God’s commands were in writing and the people made sacrifices because they could not keep the law perfectly. In the new covenant, God would write the commands on their hearts, provide the sacrifice through His Son, Jesus, and give them His Spirit to help them keep the covenant; Jer. 31:32-33)
- What did God promise at the end of the Bible
- story? (God said He would give people power to obey commands, and He would forgive their sins; Jer. 31:34)
- TONIGHT! Laser Tag! – 3rd-5th graders are invited to a special event on February 28th from 5:30-6:30. Lake Ann Camp will bring Laser Tag to LifeBridge!! Parents, you may drop off your 3rd-5th graders at the church at 5:30 for laser tag and pizza and at 6:15 the Lake Ann interns will be available for any questions you have about summer camp. If you have questions about this event, or camp in general, you may also contact April Pachuta at 270-952-0057 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penny Wars!: Our Penny Wars are going to help support the Truth Skate Ministry. Check them out at truthskatechurch.com. This is an awesome local ministry run by our own Kyle Brush.